January 19, 2018 @ 11:59 pm MST for Concurrent Session Proposals
ANY QUESTIONS? EMAIL TLCHRISMAN@MENTORINGASSOCIATION.ORG
CALL FOR PROPOSALS:
INTERNATIONAL MENTORING ASSOCIATION
30th ANNUAL CONFERENCE
Diversity of Mentoring Initiatives: Promising Practices & Research
April 25-27, 2018
San Jacinto College North, Houston, TX
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The IMA is now accepting proposal submissions for the 2018 IMA Conference, to be held April 25-27, 2018 at San Jacinto College North in Houston, TX. The theme of this year’s conference is Diversity in Mentoring Initiatives: Promising Practices & Research. Successful proposals will connect to this theme and will create an environment of learning for participants. We anticipate a broad range of participants from higher education, K-12 education, youth mentoring, government, business/corporate, legal, medical, non-profit, consulting, including practitioners, researchers, policymakers, and mentoring program leaders.
What We Are Looking For
The IMA proposals must explicitly connect to the conference theme and demonstrate both subject-matter expertise and a broadening of the field of knowledge related to mentoring.
Additionally, the IMA seeks proposals across all professions in any of the following categories:
- Reports of innovative programs that demonstrate replicable ideas of “what works” for preparation or mentors/ protégés or the practice or mentoring
- Presentation of practical tools, resources, or strategies for evaluation and assessment of mentoring programs
- Reports/examples of successful mentoring and protégé preparation training methods or materials
- Examples of the use of mentoring for the development of talent in organizations
- Analysis, interpretation, or creation of policy at the programmatic and/or legislative level that demonstrate implications for programs and practice
- Reports of mentoring program success with diverse cultures and contexts and under-served populations
- Sound academic research that contributes to the body of knowledge and offers implications for programs and practice
Proposals undergo blind review and will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Appropriateness of the session topic for the conference theme: Diversity in Mentoring Initiatives: Promising Practices & Research
- Adherence to proposal guidelines as described in this Call for Proposals
- Demonstration of subject matter expertise
- Potential to broaden the field of knowledge related to mentoring
- Clear statement of what new information, tools, strategies, or knowledge that audience members will be able to take back to their programs or organizations
- Overall quality of the proposal
Proposal Outline: Please use the underlined words as headings for your proposal
Please include a photo/short vita (75 words maximum)
- Title of Session
- Submission Type – Please identify
- Preconference Session – Wednesday, April 25, 2018 – 8:30 – 11:30 am
- Concurrent Session
Presenters may submit a proposal for both a concurrent session (deadline January 19, 2018) and a preconference session (deadline December 14, 2017). Please submit proposals separately.
- Session Strand(s) (if session is a combination of these- please specify)
- a) mentoring program overview/ report of success,
- b) mentor practitioner tools/strategies,
- c) mentor or protégé training preparation/program/materials,
- d) mentoring innovation,
- e) creation/analysis of policy/ legislation,
- f) tools, resources for evaluation/assessment of mentoring program,
- g) mentoring program success in diverse cultures/ contexts,
- h) mentoring for talent development in an organization,
- i) academic research with implications for mentoring programs/ practice.
- Presenter(s) Work Context
- a) higher education
- b) K-12 education
- c) youth mentoring
- d) government
- e) business/corporate
- f) legal
- g) medical
- h) non-profit
- i) consulting
- j) other – please specify
- Presenter(s) statement of qualifications/ background (150-200 words guideline)
Demonstrate subject matter expertise on the topic of the session
- Description of the content of the session (250 – 400 words guideline)
- Session alignment with the conference theme
Diversity in Mentoring Initiatives: Promising Practices & Research
- Objective for the audience/participant’s take away from the session.
- The proposals may be for a concurrent session (60 minutes) or for a pre-conference session (3-hour). If you choose to submit a proposal for a pre-conference session as well as a concurrent session, separate proposals must be completed.
Concurrent Session Presentation:
Each presenter/presentation team will have a 60-minute slot to present (45 minutes for presentation, 15 minutes for Q&A and session evaluations) during the concurrent sessions at the conference.
Each presenter will have a 3-hour time slot. The session requires a depth of content and contextual framework identifying objectives and audience take-aways. Participant involvement clearly enhance the presentation.
- Presenter Registration Fee: $275.00
Each presenter must pre-register for the conference and pay the presenter registration fee by the deadline for regular registration or the session may be cancelled. The presenter registration fee is the same as the early-bird registration fee, even if the presenter has not registered early.
- Presentation PDF/ Power Point:
Each presenter/presentation team must submit a PDF or Power Point of their presentation by Friday, March 23, 2018 to be included in the conference proceedings. Formal papers are accepted, but not required. Power Points will be accepted. Please put your contact information in the Power Point or Paper. Additional information about uploading these documents will be provided to the speakers.
- The IMA will provide a PC laptop (not Mac) and LCD projector/screen in each concurrent session room; Presenters are welcome to bring their own, as well, but should be conversant with how to attach the appropriate cables. No additional AV equipment will be provided by the IMA; Wi-Fi is free.
Submission Process and Deadlines
- Deadline to submit proposals is Friday, January 19, 2018.
- Submit proposals through the conference registration website http://www.cvent.com/d/ftq2hg/4W– Click on “Register”, then fill out the form and in the drop-down menu for “Registration Category” select proposal submission. Notification of acceptance will be made by Friday, February 23, 2018.
Friday, December 14, 2017 – Proposal Submission Deadline for Pre-Conference Sessions
Friday, January 19, 2018 – Proposal Submission Deadline for Concurrent Sessions
Friday, February 23, 2018 – Notification of Proposal Acceptance
Monday, March 5, 2018- Presenter Conference Registration Completed – $275
Friday, March 23, 2018 – Presenter submission of PDF or PPT