by Barry Sweeny, 2001
OK so, bottom line, what are the key strategies mentors really need to know and be able to do to effectively facilitate their protege’s professional growth?
Simply stated, the 7 key strategies for facilitating professional growth are:
- Identify and meet the learner’s needs, (ie. address their concerns)
- Clearly define excellence (the desired result, ie. standards, competencies, etc.)
- Ask reflective, open-ended questions to guide the protege toward a comparison
of their current methods versus the desired practices
- Ask reflective, open-ended questions of the learner to guide toward setting
a goal for improvement (i.e. closing the gap between actual and desired practices).
- Provide a low-risk positive and supportive learning environment
- Provide encouragement and support for the learner’s growth effort and celebrate
- Ask reflective, open-ended questions to prompt monitoring and reflecting
on progress toward goals and to facilitate adjustment of plans to increase